Formula One and organizers in the northern Italian region of Emilia Romagna canceled the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix at Imola on Wednesday. Torrential rain and floods had caused a lot of damage in the area.
The sport said that the event could not be held safely this weekend and that the move was "the right and responsible thing to do given the situation in the towns and cities in the region."
There isn't much room for rescheduling on a calendar that started out with a record 24 events, dropped to 23 in January when China was canceled, and will end up with only 22.
On Monday, Italy's civil protection agency issued a red alert weather warning for the area. On Wednesday, Transport Minister Matteo Salvini asked that the race be put off "so that all efforts can be put toward dealing with the emergency."
Last year's race had a crowd of 129,000 on the weekend and 64,000 on Sunday.
The Santerno river flows next to the Imola track. The field did not flood, but the water level was rising and some nearby places, such as parking lots and access roads, were flooded.
Officials said that at least eight people had died and that thousands of people had to leave their homes in towns and cities across the area. go to site
Stefano Domenicali, who was born in Imola and worked at the track as a kid before joining Ferrari, is the head of Formula One. He said that the choice not to go forward was the right one.
Check Out More Trending News!